Primary Image recently took part in the Small Business Saturday bus tour during its stop at Leigh-on-Sea, in Essex.
Small Business Saturday happens at the start of every December, which encourages people to support and make purchases from independent shops and small firms.
Mike, Creative Director, ran a drop-in surgery for local businesses in Leigh-on-Sea to have their websites reviewed, which we advertised in advance. He offered advice to business owners on what they could do to improve their internet marketing in the run-up to Christmas.
Primary Image joined a number of other local businesses from across the Southend area, who were exhibiting and showcasing their services, such as an accountants firm, baker, fashion designer and others. We were thankful of sunny and mild weather as we setup our stalls outside!
The mayor of Southend also paid us a visit!
One of those who visited us was Steph, who has recently created a website for her fashion consultancy business, based in Leigh-on-Sea. She had made a great start, but wanted our opinion on improving her site.
Here’s five web design tips we gave Steph:
- If you have a choice, pick a UK domain name. It looks more appealing and can improve your search engine rankings.
- Use all-capitals wording sparingly, not for full sentences, otherwise it can be hard to read.
- Avoid using a splash / welcome screen before people enter your website, because it causes a delay and can frustrate visitors.
- Structure your website’s wording carefully, so it’s straight to the point and laid out in clear sections, ideally with subheadings.
- Steph had worked with a TV personality, but this was hidden deep inside her website. If you’ve got well-known customers, won awards or have professional memberships, make sure you shout about it! Display this on your website’s home page to give your business extra credibility.
We hope everyone had a great Small Business Saturday!